On the Road of Agape

"He provided redemption for His people; He ordained His covenant forever -- holy and awesome is His name." ~Psalm 111:9

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Chronology of Months

Well, I had another moment today in which to cultivate humility, but to get the story, you have to look back two weeks. Simon Zeigler (aka "Commander-in-chief") and I had talked about dividing our large Christian Growth Group at ICF up according to birthdays during prayer two weeks ago. It worked out that he would take those with birthdays between the months of January and April, I would take those with birthdays between May and August, and Wallis Wong would take those with birthdays between September and December. Okay -- so we got it all worked out. We're all on the same page and know what we're doing. Well, when it came time to actually break up into our small prayer groups a couple of days later, Simon asked for everyone with birthdays between January and April to raise their hands. Now, I've never had this problem before (at least, I don't think I have), but for a split second there, I thought that the month of May goes before April. So, up goes my hand along with all the others. Simon looked at me rather flabbergasted and quizzical, as though to say, "What are you doing??? We had this all worked out!" Those in the group who know when my birthday is burst out laughing, and the whole time I sat there looking at Simon like, "I know when my birthday is! And, it definitely goes before April!... And why on earth is everyone laughing???" Finally, Simon said, "Um... Em... your birthday is in May. May comes after April." Needless to say, it took a while to recover my dignity with the group on that one -- later on I was told that it was a "classic Emily moment." So, two weeks later, I thought that my days of forgetting the order of months was over. Today, I was sadly proven wrong. I had a meeting with Simon (it seems to always happen with Simon...), and I was going over the worship-leading schedule that I had made up for the next couple of months for ICF. I convinced him that he had sent me the wrong Gospel of John reading schedule, and that I would need to redo the whole thing because the passage we are studying this week wasn't correlating with the passage I had marked on the worship schedule for this week. So, he graciously resent the whole John reading schedule to me. Later this afternoon, when I sat down to redo the worship-leading schedule with the "right John schedule," I realized that everything actually was lining up -- correct passages with the correct dates -- that I had only read the months wrong and I mistook December for November. This is getting to be really pathetic. Perhaps I shall blame it on midterms and lack of sleep... =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home