On the Road of Agape

"He provided redemption for His people; He ordained His covenant forever -- holy and awesome is His name." ~Psalm 111:9

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Monday, December 04, 2006

The Heart of God

Lately I've been studying the books of the minor prophets in the OT. I haven't been reading them in the order that they are in the OT, though, so right now I'm at the beginning of the list in one of my favorites -- Hosea. Everytime I revisit this book, I feel as though I am getting a glimpse at the heart of my Father, and that He is changing my heart in the process with a greater appreciation for His salvation. Oh, the great, great kindness and mercy of God is on full display throughout this book. How our unfaithfulness today, like Hosea's wife, breaks His heart. It always amazes me that even though I was a sinner and unfaithful to Him, He was faithful to forgive my sin and cleanse me from all unrighteousness when He took my place at the cross.

Here's a couple verses that have stood out to me this time through -- rather than respond to His kindess and faithfulness, instead I read verses that say of people:
"They consecrated themselves to that shameful idol, and became as vile as the thing they loved" (9:10)

"Ephraim has sold herself to lovers" (8:9)

"Ephraim feeds on the wind; he pursues the east wind all day" (12:1)

"... they [the priests] exchanged their GLORY for something disgraceful. They feed on the sins of my people and relish their wickedness." (4:7)

"Israel's arrogance testifies against him, but despite all this he does not return to the Lord his God or search for Him" (7:10)

"They sow to the wind and reap the whirlwind. The stalk has no head; it will produce no flour. Were it to yield grain, foreigners would swallow it up" (8:7)

"The more I called out to Israel, the further they went from Me." (11:2)

But in spite of this great insult and offense to His grace, see what Father says:
"I long to redeem them" (7:13)

"HOW CAN I GIVE YOU UP, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within Me; ALL MY COMPASSION is aroused." (11:8)

"It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by the arms; but they did not realize it was I who healed them. I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them." (11:3-4)

"I AM the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt. You shall acknowledge no God but Me, no Savior except Me." (12:4)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home