Baylor University Survey

I love the out-doorsy company with the cute little stick figures and the "Life is Good" logo. I have to say in agreement, "life is good," but it's also rather busy. And, as a result, I haven't had the chance to read the survey put out recently by Baylor University's Insititute for Studies of Religion. Instead, I've only looked at the University's own overview on its website, as well as read other's takes on it (one of my favorite weekly magazines, The Economist, seemed to have a fair, un-biased opinion on it, although written from a secular point of view). However, it is on "my list of things to do before I head back to school." Since I haven't actually read it for myself, I can't say too much about it. But, h ere's what I've gleaned from the University's site itself. The purpose of the survey, which is the "most extensive and sensitive study of religion ever amassed," was to better understand religion in America. According to the website:
As a result of this extensive study, the researchers found what they call the "Four Gods" -- that is, the data from the studies conducted revealed four broad views of God in America as a whole. It seems that the "four gods" boils down to how you see whether God is present in the world, and whether He is angry with it. Definitely what The Economist succinctly stated as "complexities." The study was careful to state that these views didn't necessarily dominate amongst believers. So, as a whole, American's view God as:In a national random sampling, the mailed questionnaire was completed by 1,721 respondents and covers varied facets of American religion and spirituality. Analysis of responses to the nearly 400 questions paints an initial portrait of American religious life in the early 21st century. Specifically, the data examines such questions as:
• Just how religious is America?
• Do religious Americans favor any political party?
• How do religious Americans feel about the Iraq war?
• How does religious belief affect spending patterns in America?
• How do people's perceptions of God affect their view of government and their religious practices?
• 31.4 percent believe in an Authoritarian God, who is very judgmental and engaged
• 25 percent believe in a Benevolent God, who is not judgmental but engaged
• 23 percent believe in a Distant God, who is completely removed
• 16 percent believe in a Critical God, who is judgmental but not engaged
So, that's a brief overview of the figures. Now I've got to go and read the rest of it. Here's the link for the pdf file of the survey. It's 74 pages long, but have at it. I was just thinking to myself, what a neat opportunity -- school is starting back up again, and colleges and universities are going to be packed with kiddos ready to tackle the philosophical questions of the world. This study was in some of the major papers across the country, so hopefully the students are aware that a study of this sort was conducted. Your unsaved co-worker at work is probably aware of this study. And, if so, most likely they have an opinion. And, if you were so led of the Lord, what a great conversation over coffee with a non-believer that would be...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home