On the Road of Agape

"He provided redemption for His people; He ordained His covenant forever -- holy and awesome is His name." ~Psalm 111:9

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

John Donne

School starts tomorrow for the UW. And, in light of that, I came across this quote again today:
"The University is a Paradise, Rivers of Knowledge are there, Arts and Sciences flow from thence. Counsell Tables are Horti conclusi, (as it is said in the Canticles) Gardens are walled in, and they are Fontes signati, Wells that are sealed up; bottomless depths of unsearchable Counsels there." ~John Donne
How very true. I would have to agree with Mr. Donne in that there are few places as exciting as a University and campus classroom setting. Engaging the mind is wonderful. There is a radio program by an apologist entitled, "Let My People Think," which I think is a great title. We are to think. Bigly. And yet, all knowledge cannot begin to compare with the wealth of true understanding that is found in the Word of God. For, it is in knowing the living Word of God that I find life:
O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day. Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts. I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word. I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me. How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
My dependence is not on my education. I depend upon Christ alone. Education, though, is an extremely important tool which is to be used for the Glory of God. But not as an idol, and not as a way to bring glory to ourselves. Instead, our minds should be used to bring Him glory and honor. So, let us engage our minds, hearts and lives in the study of His Word. And, as our way of thinking is washed by the "water of the Word," may we engage our minds in the understanding of truth in the academic setting as well. May we be led of the Spirit in the use of our minds throughout this next academic year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home