On the Road of Agape

"He provided redemption for His people; He ordained His covenant forever -- holy and awesome is His name." ~Psalm 111:9

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Monday, January 22, 2007

Class Today

In Elizabeth Elliot's book, Discipline: The Glad Surrender, she quotes C.S. Lewis:
"Heaven understands hell and hell does not understand heaven... To project ourselves into a wicked character, we have only to stop doing something and something we are already tired of doing; to project ourselves into a good one we have to do what we cannot and become what we are not."
In order to write this, Lewis had to have an understanding of Romans 1, which teaches that evil is within as a result of sin. And apart from Christ, there is no good thing within me. "BUT God in His mercy" sent His Son, and it is because Christ came that I may "do what [I] cannot and become what [I am] not."
I was reminded of this... again. Over the weekend, we were assigned a book for one of my classes that embraced evil so fully, that I couldn't bring myself to read beyond the first chapter, which was more than enough to get a flavor for where the plot was headed. How quick I am to judge, though, as thoughts like these did run through my head earlier:

"How could anyone read this and consider this to be 'good' literature?"
"What are these professors even thinking when they assign books like these?!"

But, as I was thinking about this, the Lord gently reminded me of His work of grace and His gospel which has changed (and is still changing!) my heart and mind. Were it not for that, I would see nothing wrong with this book. Of course books such as this one are considered bestsellers. Why? Because of sin. It is impossible to distinguish between that which is of God and that which is not when the veil has not yet been removed. For, just as Paul writes, "the god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers so they cannot see the light of the Gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God" (2 Cor. 4:4). Although I still didn't read the book, I counted class discussion today as a privilege as I had the opportunity to listen fully to those around me, pray and then speak up. And, my prayer for my own life today is the same as that of David's, when he wrote:
"Surely You desire truth in the inner parts; You teach me wisdom in the inmost place... Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Psalm 51)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home