Thoreau
While waiting in the hallway for a class that meets before ours to finish so we could then enter the classroom, a friend of mine turned to me and asked if I wouldn't mind listening to her "mumble on." As I invited her to continue, I also braced myself -- I was in a class with this young lady last quarter, and I always enjoyed listening to her during class debates. She is a very insightful and intelligent young lady, but not a believer, and so we've had some interesting discussions together. She then went on to discuss the dilemma of the main character in a book that we had read for class that day, and ended her short speech by saying something that surprised me: "Don't you ever fear that one day we too will realize that the decisions that we are making now have limited us or our potential by the time we have reached our fifties? I don't like that. I don't like the idea of boxing myself in such a way -- but it seems it can't be avoided." I didn't expect that coming from her. Interestingly though, for English Lit. we end up reading books or essays written by philosophers for literary criticism and theory. While reading Thoreau earlier in the week, a particular line caught my attention which for some reason I recalled while my friend was speaking to me: "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." And, as I thought back to what Thoreau had to say, more importantly, I thought back to what it is that Jesus has to say in answer to this question. And out of that I was able to formulate my response in the very short amount of time left to the two of us before the hallway transformed into a whirlwind of students, professors, bags and papers. Yes, actions that spring forth from ideas do have consequences. And, choices made in college (and outside of college) will play a role in the shaping of a life. Like my friend, I want to consider that very seriously. But, thank God for His Holy Spirit and His direction. He can, and He will lead, direct and guide. In knowing the eternal God who gives eternal life, we do not have to live lives that are governed by fear of making a mistake, or "lives of quiet desperation." When we are led by His Spirit, we cannot fail. It is while walking in the peace of God that we hear a voice saying, "This is the way -- walk in it." That is it -- it's a matter of hearing His voice, of walking in obedience, and whatever the hand finds to do, doing it unto the glory of God. And, the consequences and results of an obedient life are His. Where we end up and what it is we are doing when we get there -- there are no regrets because it was an obedient life following the leading of the Good Shepherd.

2 Comments:
Yea and Amen to that sister! The Lord is good and His mercy is everlasting! May His Spirit continue to instruct you and make you a blessing!
Hi, Pastor Andy!!! So good to hear from you. I heard that my family had a most enjoyable meal with you the other day -- sounded like fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home